Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Carefree Timelessness

Monday was my birthday. Last year, I had asked for an art deco filigree ring, but this year was a year I'd much rather forget. Well, not really the whole year, just half a year when my husband's work spouse made such an impact on our lives. So I didn't ask for anything -- even though there's always something on my wish list - a Czech vintage necklace, an Art Deco bracelet, gemstone earrings from etsy....

What surprised me was that my husband had decided to take a day off on my birthday; he'd never done that before. We didn't have any romantic day out planned; after all, it was a school day, so with the kids coming and going, and piano lessons, it would have to be pretty much business as usual -- at least for me.

In the afternoon, we left my daughter at home, waiting for her piano teacher, while we went out shopping, or rather wandering around town, and had a coffee. It was a totally aimless day, but I felt it was time well spent -- it reminded me of the time when we were teenagers, when we would spend any opportunity just being together, without any special agenda. I think that, through the years, this sense of simply being together has diminished, what with work, kids, errands...

Matthew Kelly (I think that's his name) wrote a book called the 7 levels of intimacy, which I read halfway before returning it to the library. Although I felt the book was full of cliches, there were some (not very original) ideas for gaining greater closeness to your significant other. One he called "carefree timelessness" -- or just spending time together without a particular purpose in mind. I suppose that's what we did that day.

My husband likes to think that he got off scot-free this year -- after all, he did offer watches, shoes, jewellery, all of which I turned down. Some people, I guess, would think I should have bought something really big for myself this year -- after all, look at what you put me through! But the sacrifice of one day of his life, just to be with me, was a thoughtful present in itself. And he did turn the phone to silent mode, and checked his Facebook page only once, when we were out!

JM Barrie, who wrote Peter Pan, once said:" You may have been warned against letting the golden hours slip by; yes, but some of them are golden only because we let them slip."

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! I think that him spending the day with you is the best present. Don't get me wrong, you should still go buy something fabulous for yourself...but I think it was huge for him.

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Chrissy! I probably will buy something for myself, but I think that a day off together was a "healing" present. There's always time for an indulgent present later.....

    ReplyDelete